[knot-dns-users] DDNS with python

Ulrich Wisser ulrich at wisser.se
Mon Oct 5 21:29:40 CEST 2015

Hi!

In the last few days I have tried a new service for DDNS, nsupdate.info.
I have some problems with the service and I have been able to reproduce the
problem in a small sample script.
The attached script does update my bind9 instance but reports SERVFAIL for
Knot.
Unfortunately I still have not been able to get Knot to write more
extensive log entries.

The script uses the Python dns library from Nominum.

This is the output of the script (first update to bind then to knot)

$ python example.py
performing add for name ddns.example.com and origin example.com with rdtype
A and ipaddr 2.3.4.5
performing add for name ddns.example.com and origin example.com with rdtype
A and ipaddr 2.3.4.5
DNS error [SERVFAIL] performing add for name ddns.example.com and origin
example.com with rdtype A and ipaddr 2.3.4.5

Knot didn't log anything at all. (Any hints for that config would be
welcome.) Bind did log the following

Oct  5 21:07:49 localhost named[23792]: client beef::cafe#59322/key
example.com: updating zone 'example.com/IN': adding an RR at '
ddns.example.com.' A

Some error in the script? Could someone point me to a working script?
Any hints are welcome!

Kind regards from Stockholm

Ulrich

--