[knot-dns-users] Knot DNS 1.6.4 patch release

Jan Včelák jan.vcelak at nic.cz
Tue Jun 16 14:37:50 CEST 2015

Hello everyone!

On behalf of CZ.NIC Labs, I would like to announce Knot DNS 1.6.4. The patch
release contains a bunch of non-critical bug fixes and a few improvements. The
update is recommended but not necessary.

Lots of changes are related to zone transfers. We resolved a problem where an
incoming NOTIFY message was lost during ongoing transfer of the same zone. The
AA flag in AXFR/IXFR queries is no longer set as recommended by the RFC. And
in multi-master environment, if a master server is not available then the
other master servers are tried immediately without waiting a SOA retry time.

The kdig utility was also updated. A new '+generic' option causes printing of
all resource records as if they were unknown records (according to RFC 3597).
The '+noall' option now hides the TSIG section. And the Dnstap SocketProtocol
is logged correctly if there is a failover from UDP to TCP.

The zone parsing and dumping was improved as well. The zone parser can now
read TXT/SPF strings longer than 255 characters which are automatically
chopped into multiple strings. And the zone dumps will no longer print class
name with the SOA record, which unifies the behavior across all resource
record types, making the text processing of a zone file easier.

Last but not least, we have resolved two build issues: Knot DNS can be now
compiled against LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL without patching. And fast zone
parser is forcibly disabled when compiling with Clang (this is a workaround
for a bug in Clang optimizer which emits invalid code for the scanner).

Thank you for attention. You can grab the sources as usual.

Full changelog:
https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/knot/raw/1.6/NEWS

Source archives:
https://secure.nic.cz/files/knot-dns/knot-1.6.4.tar.xz