[knot-dns-users] Knot DNS 2.0.0 (final release)

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Wed Jul 1 13:59:18 CEST 2015

On 01/07/15 13:39, Volker Janzen wrote:

Hi Volker,

> I was able to install the package. I just need to repair the knot.conf,
> the automated conversion to the new format did not work. I found this
> error:
>
> remotes {
>         master0 {
>                 address 178.63.159.122 at 53;
>                 address 2a01:4f8:120:73aa::affe at 53;
>                 key TRANSFER;
>         }
> }
>
> got
>
> remote:
>   - id: "master0"
>     address: "2a01:4f8:120:73aa::affe at 53"
>     key: "transfer."

I was always under the impression that the Knot 1.x config format only
allowed one IP address per remote definition. In fact, this is the
reason I have remotes defined thus:

remotes {
  master0-v4 {
    address IPv4;
    key KEY;
  }
  master0-v6 {
    address IPv6;
    key KEY;
  }
}

And then I use the "groups" directive to group these related masters
together:

groups {
  master0 { master0-v4, master0-v6 }
}

Finally, I can use the "master0" name in the zone config to tell Knot
which masters to transfer from.

This is a rather cumbersome and convoluted way to define remotes in Knot
1.x, but it works for us. I am glad that the version 2 config format has
made this easy.

> BTW: why has the new keyname a dot suffix? Does this mean something?

A key name is just a DNS label. So it works the same with or without the
final dot. The case of the key name also does not matter. The knot1to2
utility is just lowercasing the name and canonicalising it with a final
dot. It will just continue to work.

Regards,

Anand Buddhdev
RIPE NCC