[knot-dns-users] system.nsid reconfiguration bug

Marek Vavrusa marek.vavrusa at nic.cz
Tue Aug 6 17:17:52 CEST 2013


Hi Anand,

I see. It's quite unfortunate that I allowed unquoted strings in the configuration, so this complicates the checking for boolean a bit. I am thinking of disallowing unquoted strings in the next release, hope there's no big fan of this. Is there?

Meanwhile I'll have a look at the reload bug and schedule it for the next release. Sorry for the inconvenience, I'll send you a patch as soon as I know more.

Best,
Marek

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 17:07:35 +0200
Anand Buddhdev <anandb at ripe.net> wrote:

> Hello Knot developers,
> 
> I'm trying out Knot 1.3.0 final, and testing the new options for
> system.identity, system.version and system.nsid.
> 
> At first, I did this:
> 
> system {
>   identity yes;
>   version yes;
>   nsid yes;
> }
> 
> The alert ones will note that I didn't use "on", but accidentally used
> "yes", so Knot parsed them all as strings, and gave me unexpected but
> correct results.
> 
> ; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-P2 <<>> +norec +nsid @193.0.0.198 ch txt id.server
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15951
> ;; flags: qr; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
> 
> ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
> ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
> ; NSID: 79 65 73  (y) (e) (s)
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;id.server.			CH	TXT
> 
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> id.server.		0	CH	TXT	"yes"
> 
> 
> ; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-P2 <<>> +norec +nsid @193.0.0.198 ch txt version.server
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 56914
> ;; flags: qr; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
> 
> ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
> ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
> ; NSID: 79 65 73  (y) (e) (s)
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;version.server.			CH	TXT
> 
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> version.server.		0	CH	TXT	"yes"
> 
> Note that the NSID value is also "yes".
> 
> 
> So I realised my mistake, and changes the values from "yes" to "on", and
> HUPped the server. Now I get:
> 
> ;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.
> 
> ; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-P2 <<>> +norec +nsid @193.0.0.198 ch txt id.server
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27835
> ;; flags: qr; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
> ;; WARNING: Messages has 7 extra bytes at end
> 
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;id.server.			CH	TXT
> 
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> id.server.		0	CH	TXT	"admin.authdns.ripe.net"
> 
> 
> ;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.
> 
> ; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-P2 <<>> +norec +nsid @193.0.0.198 ch txt version.server
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 60856
> ;; flags: qr; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
> ;; WARNING: Messages has 7 extra bytes at end
> 
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;version.server.			CH	TXT
> 
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> version.server.		0	CH	TXT	"Knot DNS 1.3.0"
> 
> Note the warnings from dig about the extra bytes at the end. It seems
> that if you change the value of NSID and reconfigure the server, it does
> not appear to pick up the new value correctly. Stopping Knot completely
> and starting it fixes it, but there appears to be a bug during
> reconfiguration.
> _______________________________________________
> knot-dns-users mailing list
> knot-dns-users at lists.nic.cz
> https://lists.nic.cz/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/knot-dns-users


-- 
Marek Vavrusa <marek.vavrusa at nic.cz>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 834 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.nic.cz/pipermail/knot-dns-users/attachments/20130806/8c65ee9a/attachment.pgp>


More information about the knot-dns-users mailing list