[knot-dns-users] system.nsid reconfiguration bug

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Aug 6 17:07:35 CEST 2013


Hello Knot developers,

I'm trying out Knot 1.3.0 final, and testing the new options for
system.identity, system.version and system.nsid.

At first, I did this:

system {
  identity yes;
  version yes;
  nsid yes;
}

The alert ones will note that I didn't use "on", but accidentally used
"yes", so Knot parsed them all as strings, and gave me unexpected but
correct results.

; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-P2 <<>> +norec +nsid @193.0.0.198 ch txt id.server
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 15951
;; flags: qr; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
; NSID: 79 65 73  (y) (e) (s)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;id.server.			CH	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
id.server.		0	CH	TXT	"yes"


; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-P2 <<>> +norec +nsid @193.0.0.198 ch txt version.server
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 56914
;; flags: qr; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
; NSID: 79 65 73  (y) (e) (s)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;version.server.			CH	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.server.		0	CH	TXT	"yes"

Note that the NSID value is also "yes".


So I realised my mistake, and changes the values from "yes" to "on", and
HUPped the server. Now I get:

;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.

; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-P2 <<>> +norec +nsid @193.0.0.198 ch txt id.server
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27835
;; flags: qr; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: Messages has 7 extra bytes at end

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;id.server.			CH	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
id.server.		0	CH	TXT	"admin.authdns.ripe.net"


;; Warning: Message parser reports malformed message packet.

; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-P2 <<>> +norec +nsid @193.0.0.198 ch txt version.server
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 60856
;; flags: qr; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: Messages has 7 extra bytes at end

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;version.server.			CH	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.server.		0	CH	TXT	"Knot DNS 1.3.0"

Note the warnings from dig about the extra bytes at the end. It seems
that if you change the value of NSID and reconfigure the server, it does
not appear to pick up the new value correctly. Stopping Knot completely
and starting it fixes it, but there appears to be a bug during
reconfiguration.



More information about the knot-dns-users mailing list