domain transfers in FRED - how to charge the transaction

Jaromir Talir jaromir.talir at nic.cz
Tue Sep 6 12:32:21 CEST 2016

On Mon, 2016-09-05 at 15:18 +0200, Dr Paulos B Nyirenda wrote:
> Jaromir,
>
> Thank you for the below details on transferes, however, the incidence
> of domain transfers
> has been high on the ,mw registry and we would like to explore the
> possibility of charging for
> them on FRED, like other registries do - for example .eu, see
> https://eurid.eu/en/fees-and-prepayments
>
> As  result we put this in the Fee Policy for .mw - http://www.sdnp.re
> gistrar.mw/policy.php
>
> So, I would like to explore further and more deeply how FRED handles
> transfers.
>
> Are transfers logged anywhere ?  ... can we scan for and extract such
> data from such a log ?

Definitely. Every EPP transaction is stored in request tables. One way
to list all transfers per registrar over last month is following SQL:

SELECT user_name, COUNT(*) FROM request r JOIN request_type rt ON
(r.request_type_id=rt.id) WHERE r.service_id=3 and r.is_monitoring='f'
and (DATE_TRUNC('month',time_begin::timestamptz AT TIME ZONE
'Europe/Prague') = DATE_TRUNC('month',CURRENT_TIMESTAMP AT TIME ZONE
'Europe/Prague' - INTERVAL '0 month')) AND rt.name='DomainTransfer' AND
r.result_code_id=(SELECT id FROM result_code WHERE service_id=3 AND
result_code=1000) GROUP BY user_name;

Just change time zone to yours.

> Can we see details of such a log in Daphne ?

Yes, you can. If you will go to Logs->Logs and select Service type =
EPP and add Request Type filter with value DomainTransfer, you will see
the same result.

> If enough details exist in a log on transfers then may be we can
> process such a log and
> invoice the transfers at the end of the month. Would be great if
> there was a way of doing this
> using the registrar deposit.

This is quite tricky and I'm afraid there is no direct function for
general charging of unknown item.

> I guess Jaromir that you afre already doing something like that for
> registrars who exceedsa
> certain number of EPP transactions at .cz. Do you then charge this to
> the registrar credit or
> do you send them a separate invoice?

Yes, we have implemented this to be included in monthly invoice.

We are internally working on refactoring of billing component so I can
record 'charging of other things' as a feature request, but I cannot
promise this will be implemented in following month, maybe at the
beginning of next year.

I will try to explore other possibilities but in the meantime the only
way is to charge registrars outside of FRED.

--
Jaromir Talir
Technicky partner / Technical Fellow