Quick question on Fred regarding Premium Domain Names

Jaromir Talir jaromir.talir at nic.cz
Fri Nov 11 17:46:32 CET 2016

Hi Mark,

it's interesting concept. As we are quite liberal registry, we treat
all domains equal :) We have simple price list with the same price for
any domain and any registrar and this is also reflected in FRED.

However we have noticed growing demand for more granular price list
based on registrar size, registrar country, etc. I guess that when will
decided to implement this we could take also this premium domain price
list into account.

On Wed, 2016-11-02 at 17:14 +0200, Mark Elkins wrote:
> I'm writing some words on my understanding of Premium Domain Names -
> and
> am not sure about FRED....
>
> Quick question:
>
> Does FRED implement the code to specify that "these names" are
> premium
> names and therefore cost more. The Registrar also needs a slight EPP
> code modification in that they must provide the (expected) cost of
> the
> domain to the Registry - in order to confirm its premium status - and
> guess - the correct cost.
>
> In order for the Registry to implement this, one might need to
> perhaps
> provide a file of "regular expressions" which if met - would imply
> the
> Domain Name is Premium... could even add a second column as the cost?
>
> eg
> .         (to match one character)
> ..        (to match two characters)
> ...       (to match three characters)
> green     ( and other "generic" names)
> blue
> sexy
> travel
> hotel*    (hotel, hotels, hotel-bookings - etc)
>

> Perhaps - do people have a different understanding of "What is a
> Premium
> Domain Name" ?

Jaromir Talir
Technicky partner / Technical Fellow
CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.  --    .cz domain registry
Milesovska 5, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
mailto:jaromir.talir at nic.cz  http://nic.cz/
sip:jaromir.talir at nic.cz tel:+420.222745107
mob:+420.739632712       fax:+420.222745112