installing FRED

Jaromír Talíř jaromir.talir at nic.cz
Fri May 8 11:18:59 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 12:43 +0200, Adriatik Allamani wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am trying to Install FRED but I am having many problems.
> I tried the way:
>
> ./fred-manager download
> ./fred-manager install
> ./fred-manager start
>
> and it gets the errors below:
>
> root at ns1:~/test# ./fred-manager install
> initdb: cannot be run as root

I would suggest not to do installation as root, 'fred-manager' tool is
meant to install fred as regular user for testing purpose. For root
installation, use direct installation (configure;make;make install &&
python setup.py install) or installation from packages.

> Please log in (using, e.g., "su") as the (unprivileged) user that will
> own the server process.
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
> checking for /home/sysdns/test/root/nofred/pg... no
> configure: error: Directory "/home/sysdns/test/root/nofred/pg" does not exists (use --with-pghbadir)
>
> Than I have used the other options, by adding the following source in the source.lists
>
> deb http://archive.nic.cz/ dapper/
>
> Than when I do apt-get install fred-* it shows the line below:
>
> root at ns1:~/test# apt-get install fred-*
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package fred-manager

you probably forgot downloaded fred-manager script in your directory and
it's considered as request for installation - so just delete it.

Regards
Jaromir