database character set

Petur Kirke pk at simprentis.com
Sun Jan 4 18:07:03 CET 2009

Hello

I can see that the FRED database (PostgreSQL) is in UTF-8.
Since i am using PHP, and i got some problems with UTF-8, I am considering to change the PostgreSQL database to ISO 8859-1 character set.

question 1)
Is it safe to do this ?
Is there anything i should reconsider before doing this ?

question 2)
And how can i set the character set, if i use the commands below ?:
 fred-dbmanager uninstall
 fred-dbmanager install

Petur

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If the email contains proposals, they are valid for 30 days following the date of email transmission. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachment for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by email.